Texting does seem to be the norm in today’s dating culture. Texting a guy can be exhilarating and fun. It also can be stressful and frustrating. There are many reasons to text a guy, and there’s no one-text-fits-all message that’s right for every situation.
When texting a guy, you just have to be thoughtful and know your intention. Here are a number of situations in which you’re likely to text your guy. Feel free to use these as guides, but don’t forget to tweak them so that they fit you personally.
He Gave You His Number
Meeting someone new is always exciting . . . and a little scary. That cute guy gave you his number, so he probably wants to hear—or read—from you again. Maybe you’re not sure how to text a guy who gave you his number. Just follow a few simple guidelines to text him with ease and confidence.
Say more than just “hi.” Just because you hooked him once doesn’t mean you shouldn’t keep hooking him. There’s nothing wrong with “Hi” to get the ball rolling, but add something more meaningful. Say something that’ll encourage him to respond.
- “Hi. Have you recovered from last night yet?”
- “Hey there. I had a great time talking to you last night.”
- “Hey. I’m glad I didn’t lose your number! ;)”
- “Hi. What a great band we heard last night! Have you heard them before?”
Have a call to action. He likely gave you his number because he wants to see more of you. If you really want a date, then it might be up to you to get things moving. If you know of an activity that he enjoys, try suggesting that for a date. If you’re not brave enough to explicitly suggest a date, then maybe suggest continuing the conversation you had the last time you saw him.
- “Good morning. I really enjoyed our conversation last night. Want to pick up where we left off?”
- “Hey. That band we heard last night is playing downtown next weekend. Want to go?”
- “It was great talking to you the other night. Want to get together for coffee soon and continue the conversation?”
Don’t send more than one or two texts. When texting a guy after just getting his number, do NOT barrage him with multiple texts. Instead, play it cool. Suppose your first text is, “Hey, I’m glad we met last night.” It’s usually okay to send one more text, perhaps something like, “Maybe we can get together again soon?” If you don’t hear back for a while, don’t pick up that phone. If he’s genuinely interested in you, he’ll text back. If not, then know that it’s his loss and move on.
You Want to Say Hi
You’re on your way to work or class, and you just want to pop off a quick text to say “Hi” to your guy. It’s a nice gesture that you’re thinking of him. However, multiple “Hi” or “Hey” texts with nothing else can go stale quickly.
You want to know how to text a guy hi? Do it in a way that makes you and your message stand out. It also doesn’t hurt to be cute, which will likely give him a chuckle. This is also the time to use more visual cues to make your text more visually appealing.
- Rather than saying ‘Hi’, sometimes just send a photo, perhaps a selfie of the two of you, if you have one. It’s even better if it reflects an inside or shared joke.
- Use a video. Type a greeting (“Hey there!”) and then insert a video of you doing something funny or cute.
- Use an emoji or two. “Hey there, sleepyhead. [insert emoji].”
- Use a cute saying: “Hey, what’s shakin’?”
- Greet him in another language: “Hallo, mein Schatz. (German for “Hello, my sweetheart.”)
- Ask how his day is going: “Hey there. Having a good morning?”
- Show concern if you haven’t texted all day: “Hi! I’ve been busy, but I still wanted to check in.”
By adding more than just a simple ‘hi’ to your texts, you are making them much more inviting and open to good replies!
How to Text a Guy Good Morning
Want to put your guy in a good mood for the whole day? Surprise him with a sweet, cute, funny, or sexy good-morning text. Like most men, your guy will likely appreciate the attention and feel good knowing he was on your mind first thing in the morning.
It really doesn’t matter how long or short your text is. As long as it contains a unique and meaningful message, your guy will appreciate it all day. Here are a few short-and-sweet notes to give him a good-morning send-off:
- “Good morning, hot stuff!”
- “Hey, sweetie. I’ll be thinking about you all day.”
- “Have a great day, lover!”
- “Wishing you a good morning to put a smile on your face.”
- “Good morning to the greatest guy I’ve ever met.”
- “Good morning! Love you!”
- “Did you dream about me last night? ;)”
- “Sending some love your way this morning!”
Try these messages to be flirty and sexy:
- “Good morning! I had a really steamy dream about you last night.”
- “Good morning. I just got dressed, but my clothes would just look better on your bedroom floor!”
- “I had fun with you last night. Here’s to a morning of recovery!”
- “I want you now, but I can wait until tonight. Good morning!”
- “Good morning. It’s too bad I’m waking up with you on my mind instead of in my bed.”
You’re Thinking of Him
Sometimes, the sweetest reason to text a guy is to tell him he’s on your mind. Making him smile and feel good is how to text a guy you’re thinking of him. Sending a sweet text out of the blue is a great way to remind him of how much he means to you.
If you’re feeling especially amorous, you might prepare a series of texts to send him if you’re not going to see him at all that day. Make sure you don’t send them all at once; space them out so that he never knows when the next one will show up on his phone.
- “You always make me laugh! [insert laughing emoji]”
- “You make me feel like I’m the only girl in the world.”
- “Thank you for being my boyfriend.”
- “Just letting you know how what a wonderful guy you are.”
- “No one is perfect, but you’re perfect for me.”
- “The world is a better place with you in it.”
- “You just texted me, and there I go, smiling like an idiot. :)”
How to Text a Guy You Miss Him
A special guy is almost always on your mind, even more so when you’re missing him. We all know what it’s like to miss someone. It’s that bittersweet feeling that can enhance any relationship, even though being without someone we love can be challenging. It’s probably rough for your guy, too.
As with any other text to a guy, these messages take some thought. You miss him, and you want him to miss you back, right? The trick is NOT to flood his phone with hundreds of texts. You not only want him to miss you, but also to miss your sweet texts as well. In other words, don’t let him get too accustomed to getting your texts. Give him some breathing room and a chance to miss seeing your texts light up his phone.
Mention something positive about him. Even when you’re missing him, you remember the things that make him so loveable. Texting him that you miss him is a great way to make him feel validated and worthwhile.
- “I just drove by the trail where you taught me to mountain bike. You’re a great teacher!”
- “You’re just too handsome for words! I have a smile on my face just thinking of you. :)”
- “I remember what a gentleman you were on our last date. You are a credit to your gender.”
- “You’re far away but always on my mind.”
Inject a little sexual tension. We’re not talking about explicit messages or sexting. The subtle sexual-tension message is about flirtation that leaves much more to the imagination. Try one of these texts to ignite some sparks for when you see him again:
- “I woke up missing you … in my bed. ;)”
- “Remember what we were doing around this time last week? 😉 Can’t wait to do it again.”
- “You’re not here, but you were in my naughty dream last night.”
Show support. One of the benefits of a relationship is giving and receiving emotional support. Remembering the things that mean a lot to your guy helps him feel supported and validated, especially if he’s going through a rough time or has an important event coming up. Sending support while missing your guy will let him know that you’re thinking of him and that you’re paying attention to what’s going on in his life.
- “Good luck with your performance today. You’re a star!”
- “Have a great time on your bro weekend! I know how much you’ve looked forward to it!”
- “Go, Huskers!!! They’re looking strong!”
- “I’m so sorry about your family’s loss. You’re constantly in my thoughts.”
How to Text a Guy to Hang Out with Him
Whether it’s a night on the couch or an evening on the town, texting is a low-pressure way to ask a guy out—for both you and him. Regardless of the nature of your relationship and how long you’ve known him, it never hurts to put some thought into your text. For instance, if you’ve been seeing each other for a while or are in a serious relationship, you can afford to be flirty:
- “I need some kissy face. How about it?”
- “You. Me. Bowling. This weekend. I want to see which one of us is better. ;)”
- “You’re adorable. Let’s be adorable together over dinner this Friday night.”
- “I’m starting to forget how sexy you look. Let’s set up a date so that I can remember.”
If you just met the guy and want to ask him out, your approach needs to be more thoughtful. You don’t want to seem desperate or turn him off. You also might be feeling a little shy or uncertain about how he feels about you. These steps should empower you:
Break the ice. Text a brief greeting. Don’t come on too strong. Try something like, “Hey Jim, it’s Petra. Wasn’t that a great party last weekend? Glad we had a chance to talk.”
Pay attention to the ensuing conversation. If he responds back and you’re exchanging messages, great! Notice the direction of the conversation. He might not be that into you if he takes too long to respond or if his response texts are short. On the other hand, if his responses are thoughtful and engaging, he might be open to a date, but don’t ask just yet.
Try flirting. This next step assumes that the guy has responded favorably to your texts thus far. He’s not ignoring you, and he seems to be engaged. Start sending flirtier messages and see if he flirts back. If not, you probably should avoid asking him out. Here are some flirty texts to get you started:
- “It’s a bummer that I’m sitting at home alone. I’d much rather be snuggled up next to you.”
- “I can’t help but think how beautiful your eyes were when we were talking the other night.”
- “You couldn’t possibly be the guy of my dreams, could you? ;)”
- “I can’t stop thinking about you.”
If he texts back with something equally flirtatious like, “Why not make it happen?” or “I thought you’d never ask me out,” he just might be into you! That’s your signal to go for it!
Ask him out. Now’s the time to be direct. Don’t ramble; just get to the point. Be specific about what you have in mind for the date; avoid texting something vague like, “go out sometime.” Here are some ideas:
- “How about it? Do you want to go out with me?”
- “Hunter, I like you. Would you like to go on a date with me this weekend?”
- If he’s a coworker: “I hardly ever see you at work these days. I miss our chats. Want to grab a drink after work tomorrow?”
- If you’re already friends with him: “I know we already hang out a lot, but would you be my date to Jen’s party this weekend?”
- “A new sushi place just opened up, and I was wondering if you wanted to check it out with me.”
- “We’re supposed to have great weather this weekend. Want to enjoy some of it with me on the hiking trail?”
What to Text a Guy When He’s Sick
Your guy is sick in bed, and you feel powerless to make him feel better. You might offer to bring him chicken soup or pick up some medicine from the pharmacy. Also, texting him when he’s sick can make a huge difference. Sending him a sweet text lets him know you care. Your man might not feel well enough to receive a visitor. Still, he’ll likely welcome a text from you wishing him a speedy recovery. Here are some examples of what to text a guy when he’s sick:
- “If my love for you were medicine, you’d be cured by now. Rest up, and I’ll see you soon.”
- “Please get well soon so that I can resume kissing you.”
- “I may not be there right now, but my love won’t go away.”
- “You want some chicken soup? How about binge-watching some Netflix? Let me know how I can help you feel better.”
- “Hope this message puts a smile on your face and makes you feel better. Love you so much.”
How to Text a Guy Good Night
It’s great to know that you’re the last thing on your guy’s mind before his head hits the pillow. Text him something sweet to send him into slumber with a smile on his face.
If you’re in a committed romantic relationship, texting good night is about reminding him how you feel. Your good-night text will inspire him to respond in kind and keep the good vibes going.
- “I can’t fall asleep until I let you know how much I love you and how much you mean to me.”
- “I only have dreams for you. Good night, sweetheart.”
- “Instead of counting sheep, I’ll count the number of reasons I love you. Good night.”
- “Goodnight to the man of my dreams. Hope to see you in my dreams.”
- “Love you to the moon and back. Good night.”
- “Miss me? Will you dream about me? I hope so! ;)”
- “Good night to the last person who’s on my mind before I fall asleep.”
If your guy is still more of a crush, it’s still okay to text him good night. In fact, a sweet good-night text to your crush is an excellent way to let him know that you see him as more than just a friend. Don’t hesitate to be a little bold, so you get the message across.
- “Stay tuned tomorrow to hear about the dream I will have had about you tonight . . .”
- “Are you thinking about me tonight?”
- “Missing you as I fall asleep . . .”
- “Wish you were here to warm me up on this chilly night.”
- “Get ready. I just might invade your dreams tonight. ;)”
No More Texting Woes!
Texting has become a normal mode of communication in romantic relationships. No matter the reason or context, texting can be a fun and rewarding way to spark and maintain a guy’s interest. However, make sure you don’t rely solely on texting to maintain a relationship, resolve conflicts, or let your guy know how you feel about him.